Known in the late 17th century under the name “Bourdieu de La Gravette”, the château belonged to the Banchereaus, a family of important lawyers. The area under vine was practically identical to what it is today: 10 hectares on the best gravelly rises. The Hanappiers, a family of wine merchants, acquired the estate in 1883. The quality of Château Couhins-Lurton’s white wine was such that it was designated a Graves great growth in the 1959 classification.
André Lurton became tenant farmer of the vineyard in 1967. He went on to purchase part of the estate that had been acquired by the French National Institute for Agricultural Research. He sold wine from this part under the name Couhins-Lurton, qualified as a Graves classified growth. The white wine part of the vineyard is planted exclusively with Sauvignon Blanc. Fermentation and ageing take place in stave wood oak barrels to give the wine balance, finesse, and complexity on both the nose and palate, as well as great ageing potential.
Couhins-Lurton is a fine dry white wine typical of the best terroirs in Pessac-Léognan. A plot of red wine vines was added to the estate in 1988. This enables Couhins-Lurton to reconnect with its history, because the château produced 95% red wine in the 19th century.
Le vignoble :
Superficie en Rouge : 21 ha
Superficie en Blanc : 6 ha
Rouge : 40% de Cabernet Sauvignon ; 50% de Merlot ; 5% de Petit Verdot et 5% Cabernet Franc
Blanc : 90% de Sauvignon Blanc et 10% Sauvignon Gris
Production moyenne :
Rouge : 100 000 bouteilles par an
Blanc : 30 000 bouteilles par an
Pays d’exportation :
Exportation de 20% de la production totale
Visite du Château :
Visite sur rendez-vous du lundi au vendredi
Langues Parlées :
Lorsque vous visitez un site Web, il peut stocker ou récupérer des informations sur votre navigateur, principalement sous la forme de cookies. Contrôlez vos services de cookies personnels ici.