Located in the heart of the Pessac-Léognan appellation, in the Graves, this château is quite ancient.
In 1520, Jean de Amelin from the Pérogord, who was also Lord of Rochemorin near the city of Périgueux in the Dordogne, came to the Bordeaux region and bought a property named Beaubois in Martillac. He built a château there, planted a vineyard, and renamed the estate Rochemorin. The de Pesnel family, descendants of the Lalandes, and present in nearby La Brède since the year 1000, acquired Rochemorin circa 1610.
The famous philosopher, Charles de Secondat, Baron de Montesquieu, was a member of this family and lived at Rochemorin as a child.
The wine was considered the finest in Martillac until the early 20th century. Sold to foresters in 1919, the vines were gradually replaced by trees.
In 1973, André Lurton acquired Rochemorin and decided to restore its prestige. He planted Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Sauvignon Blanc, and Sémillon vines on some 100 hectares of soil eminently suited to winegrowing. The vineyard was entirely reconstituted and now produces very attractive and balanced red and white wines enjoy as fine a reputation as in days past.
Le vignoble :
Superficie en Rouge : 40 ha
Superficie en Blanc : 21,5 ha
Rouge : Merlot 55%
Cabernet Sauvignon 45%
Blanc : Sauvignon blanc : 100%
Production moyenne :
Rouge : 170 000 bouteilles/an
Blanc : 60 000 bouteilles / an
Pays d’exportation :
Exportation d e 40% de la production totale
Visite du Château :
dégustation au château La Louvière
Langues Parlées :